Does God want you to be rich?


We had this topic last Sunday in our church. When our pastor asked the congregation this question, I raised my hand when he said “Who says yes?” In my mind, what I can only justify with my answer is that the Lord wants us to be rich in Spirit, in knowledge of His Word, and rich in terms of heavenly treasures period.
But then he gave us 4 Theology of which you can reflect with towards your attitude on money, wealth, and possessions.

Here below was my note (and oh some words are incomplete, just a word not the whole context, my apologies)

1. POVERTY THEOLOGY

Their VIEW of PROSPERITY is : Non-materialistic, Disregard possession.
For them, “Possessions are CURSE”
Their VIEW of PURCHASES is: Lowest Quality

       For them, they would probably give their possessions to the needy thinking that they don’t need those things because they have a proof Bible text that says: “Sell all and give to the poor” (Luke 18:18-22)
But as you look at the whole context of the verse, you will realize the misuse of that particular proof text in this theology.

Luke 18:18-22
The Rich Ruler
18A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
19"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 20You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother."
21"All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.
22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

They believe that no one can serve two masters; you cannot serve both God and many.
In this theology, for the people who consider this theology might say that NEEDS ARE MET BY THINKING YOU DON’T HAVE ANY NEEDS.

Their primary role is : REJECTER
Their pre occupation is: DAILY NEEDS
Their attitude is : CAREFREE (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight

How about you? How will you use this beautiful verse?

The following theology, as the way I write it will be just the same of the first one ^^

2. PROSPERITY THEOLOGY

Their VIEW of PROSPERITY is : Prosperity is the reward of righteousness..
For them, “Possessions are REWARD”
Their VIEW of PURCHASES is: Highest Quality

      For them, they would probably give their possessions to the needy thinking that as they give it, they will be rewarded because they have a proof Bible text that says: “Ask, seek, knock” (Matthew 7:7-8)
But as you look at the whole context of the verse, you will realize the misuse of that particular proof text in this theology.

Matthew 7:7-8
Ask, Seek, Knock
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

They believe that their needs are met by SEED faith. “Give to get”

Their primary role is : OWNER
Their pre occupation is: MONEY
Their attitude is : DRIVEN (Proverbs 10:17)

Proverbs 10:17
17 He who heeds discipline shows the way to life,
but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.
Again, for you, how will you use this beautiful verse?

I personally suggest you read the whole chapter of MATTHEW 7 and PROVERBS 10

3. CONSUMER THEOLOGY

Their VIEW of PROSPERITY is : The pursuit of household possessions and family pleasures are ______ (this one I’m missing =(
For them, “Possessions are RIGHT”
Their VIEW of PURCHASES is: QUANTITY

     For them, they would probably keep their possessions than applying the other 2 theology mentioned earlier because they have a proof Bible text that in 1 Timothy 5:8 and Haggai 1:4

1 Timothy 5:8
8If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever

Haggai 1:4
4 "Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?"

They believe that their needs are met by credit and borrowing in order to take care of their own family’s needs. Possessions are right and its better if its plenty.

Their primary role is : ACCUMULATOR
Their pre occupation is: COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
Their attitude is : ENTANGLED (Mark 4:19 and Haggai 1:5)

Mark 4:19
19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.

Haggai 1:5
5 Now this is what the LORD Almighty says: "Give careful thought to your ways.
For the second time, I would personally suggest that you read 1 Timothy 5, Mark 4 and Haggai 1.

Check out biblegateway.com =)

And last but not the least theology is the

4. STEWARDSHIP THEOLOGY

Their VIEW of PROSPERITY is : Possessions are trust given by God on varying _______ ( again, my apologies for having incomplete notes)
For them, “Possessions are RESPONSIBILITY”
Their VIEW of PURCHASES is: WISES

For them, they apply the context in Matthew 25:14-30

Matthew 25:14-30
The Parable of the Talents
14"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15To one he gave five talents[a] of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. 17So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. 18But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'
21"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
22"The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'
23"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'
26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

They just simply believe that their needs are met by faithfully using and giving from what you’ve received.
Their primary role is : STEWARD / MANAGER
Their pre occupation is: WISDOM
Their attitude is : FAITHFUL (Luke 16:10-11)

Luke 16:10-11
10"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?


PERSONAL NOTE:
      I think I am like those in Theology #3.
Well, hate to admit but I need to, that yes, I sometimes think that I am an accumulator for the sake of my comfort and being convenient.  I tend to borrow money too for the sake of having what I want to buy. (though I know how to pay them back and admittedly even up to this time I still have payables).
I hope and I pray that I could whole heartedly practice Theology #4.  Being faitful is a lot.  Christ was faitful when He was still on earth.  He faithfully did what the Father wants Him to do and that's what He wants us to do too! He wants us to faithful in every thing that we do, regardless of the quality, quantity or reward because we need to practice that we do things not for us but to bring glory to our Faithful God.!

Comments

  1. You know what? Bro. Bo discussed this to us also.. Nice! nice!: )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Got my WishList

Fast Delivery!

What are the books of the Bible?