Lessons from the Lord's Prayer Part 2

( I am sharing with you the second part of my devotion.)


GOD bless you as you read!

Our Father…
“Our Father in heaven.”

Matthew 6:9

Challenge:  If you want an enlightening experience, ask five or six people to describe their view of what God is like.  You’ll probably get five or six very different answers!
One person may see God as a kindly old gentleman.
Another may picture him as a harsh and demanding taskmaster.
The Bible describes God as a loving father.

           When you hear the term father, what comes to your mind? Without realizing it, you may equate God’s character with the way you view your earthly father.  Perhaps your father is nurturing, affectionate, and reliable.  If so, you will probably see God that way too.  Sadly, some fathers are harsh and critical, even cruel.  Even fathers with the best of intentions are imperfect.  They make mistakes.  They have weak moments.  If your father neglected you or did not express love toward you, you may tend to think that God is uncaring.  When you go through hard times, you may assume it’s futile to seek comfort from God.  After all, why should he care?  When you have a need, you might conclude, There’s no point in asking God.  He won’t provide for me.

           If your experience with your earthly father has been unpleasant, you may need to reverse your thinking.  Rather than trying to fit God into your imagine of what a father is like, realize that GOD IS THE PATTERN FOR EARTHLY FATHERS TO FOLLOW. GOD LOVES HIS CHILDREN PERFECTLY.  HE’S NEVER TOO BUSY OR TOO PREOCCUPIED OR TOO SELF-CENTERED TO CARE ABOUT YOU.  Also, BECAUSE HE LOVES YOU, HE WILL DISCIPLINE YOU. GOD WANTS ONLY WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU.  BECAUSE HE IS ALL-POWERFUL, GOD CAN PROVIDE EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO LIVE A JOYFUL, ABUNDANT LIFE.  In other words, HE CAN AFFORD IT.

           SINCE GOD’S LOVE IS UNCONDITIONAL, NO MATTHER HOW MANY TIMES YOU BLOW IT BY SINNING, YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND FORGIVENESS WHEN YOU SEEK IT.

           That’s what God is like.  That is the goal that human fathers strive toward.  But even the best earthly father is only a pale reflection of the kind of heavenly Father you have. 

           SPEND TIME GETTING TO KNOW YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN.  ALLOW HIM TO LOVE YOU AS ONLY HE CAN.  HE WANTS SO MUCH FOR YOU TO EXPERIENCE THE PEACE AND JOY THAT HE CAN GIVE YOU.

Personal Note:
           I am so blessed to have God as my heavenly Father.  If I would be asked how it like is to have a father, I can’t answer that.  I grew up without my father beside me.  I could only remember some good memories I had with him.  My uncles were my father-figure who helped us as we grew up with such rules in order to discipline us.  I sometimes cry every time I miss my father.  I used to ask the Lord why He allowed that to happen in our family but then I realized far more important lesson from being in a broken family.  I learned how to value people who are present and pray for those who are absent.  
           I will not blame my parents if situations turned out that way. 
           I just can’t contain the joy that I am feeling for being part of God’s children.  I am blessed to have Him as my Father.  Though my earthly father’s presence is not visible, I know in time, the Lord will give me a life time partner who is like Him and will be a good father to our children in the future.  A kind of father that the Lord wants him to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Got my WishList

Fast Delivery!

What are the books of the Bible?